Monday, November 2, 2015

Own a piece of the Marilyn Monroe collection

Marilyn Monroe with Mary Jane Popp at KAHI Radio in Sacramento, California

It doesn’t seem possible, but it’s been nearly a year and a half since the passing of my dear friend June DiMaggio just before she turned 91. June was the niece of Joe DiMaggio, and very close friends with Marilyn Monroe until her death in 1962.

She and I collaborated on my book “Marilyn, Joe and Me” June DiMaggio tells it like it was.

As I thought back at the 35 plus years I knew June, I recalled the incredible stories she told me about Marilyn, Joe, and some of the many other special people she knew from her days in Hollywood from Barbara Stanwyck and Jeanette MacDonald to Hoagy Carmichael, Ann Sothern, and so many more.

At the anniversary of her passing in June of this year, I decided to take out all the memorabilia June gave me over the years for birthdays and Christmas since our first meeting in 1980.

I really had forgotten about so many of the precious items she gave me. I loved reading all the handwritten notes signed by her with stories about how she came to own these precious memorabilia like the Kimono Marilyn brought back from Japan and wore and then gave to June, along with so many personal items from both Marilyn and Joe including the original memorial program from Marilyn’s funeral. There were so many items, I can’t begin to list them all.


There were wonderful candid family photos from a private birthday party in San Francisco that have never been seen before.

There are personal notes from stars like Barbara Stanwyck, Ann Sothern, Jeanette MacDonald, and musical genius Hoagy Carmichael who gave us songs like “Stardust.” Many of these memorabilia can be seen in my book “Marilyn, Joe and Me.”

As I held each item and remembered when she brought it to me and read each note with how she got it and why she wanted me to have it for posterity, I thought to myself, who will cherish these beautiful memories when I am gone?

So I came to a very difficult decision. I decided to trust them into the hands of Brian Witherell, “Antiques Roadshow” appraiser and chief operating officer of Witherell’s in Sacramento, California.

When I called Brian and told him what I wanted to pass these treasures on to fans of these icons, he said “Marilyn and Joe were iconic figures.

Their marriage was the love story of the century. They were, and still are, American Royalty.” He was so right, and so I want these beautiful memories to go those who will keep them and pass them on for decades to come.

All these items will be offered to fans November 4-18 by Witherell’s Auction. You can bid on the items during this time. Go to www.Witherells.com and click on the Dimaggio Auction Link, right below the image of Marilyn Monroe.

On November 18 at 9 AM PT, the auction will close. A preview of the auction will be held Saturday November 14 from 1 to 5 PM at Witherell’s Gallery, 300 20th Street, Sacramento. If you have more questions, please call (916) 446-6490.

Own a piece of Hollywood. From the big screen of yesteryear, I hope to share this iconic history of celebrities who will remain in our hearts forever!
_________________________________________

Become a Truth Serum Partner Now